The million-mile car

The million-mile car
Her name is Madeline.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

On a late winter Saturday I undertook a series of errands that I hoped would allow me to enjoy the high quality and camaraderie of supporting local businesses.  Done by car, but in short little trips that would take me through some of Baltimore's most interesting historic areas.

I enlisted the company of The Boy, who was reluctant to leave a re-reading of Harry Potter to join, but who eventually brought the book and came along.
"Macaroni Products" is what they used to call pasta
First stop, Trinacria, the Italian deli near Lexington Market that has a wall of fresh breads, good deli items and a unique way of ringing up and packaging your purchases.  Only thing is, it closes at 4:30.
Even though we circled the block twice before finding a parking place, I managed to get to the store by  4:15-ish.  A sense of urgency had me loudly directing The Boy as we crossed the busy downtown streets, and before we went through the door, I told him our strategy was to go straight to the breads then get in line for ham and pepperoni.  I think the people inside heard me instructing him 'cos we got some bemused looks when we entered.  We performed perfectly and soon found ourselves at the counter, having our purchases enumerated and placed into a box for taking home.

The legendary military surplus store H and H Outdoors is right around the corner from Trinacria, and I'd identified a need for a long lighter since we'd woken up with out power that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment